The medical industry has consistently witnessed significant development in terms of software technologies over the last few decades. One of the growing trends in the industry is the increasing popularity of online health records in hospitals, clinics, and even among independent practitioners. Storing and managing information online is very convenient for healthcare professionals. Electronic health record software can be extremely useful in managing patient information.
What are electronic health records?
Maintaining patient health records has been a crucial task for healthcare establishments for quite a long time. However, with everything undergoing digitalization, so have the ways in which organizations manage patient information. Electronic health record (EHR) applications allow healthcare professionals to seamlessly store, update, and access various patient information. Electronic health records mostly include clinical records, such as test results, medical history, prescriptions, etc.
How do doctors benefit from keeping electronic health records?
Doctors find it quite convenient to use EHR software solutions rather than keep manual records. After all, storing information is much easier when one does it digitally. The key perks of keeping electronic health records are:
Naturally, every health professional would aim to provide his/her patients with quality care and accurate treatment. Electronic health record applications make it much easier to deliver quality care by:
- Offering easy access to past medical records
- Improving communication between the patient and the doctor
- Improving preventive care
- Helping to track a patient’s progress
Thus, electronic health records directly enhance healthcare services.
Wrong information regarding the medical history of a patient can have adverse effects. Digital storage and management of the information reduce the chances of errors in several ways.
- Eliminating manual errors to a great extent
- No chances of misinterpretation of medical records due to handwriting
- Real-time updates
By helping to store information accurately, EHRs help to enhance the very function of data management.
Quick access to information
Electronic health records enable seamless access to information, both for doctors and their patients. This comes with several advantages, such as:
- Quicker treatment
- Efficient diagnosis
- Shorter visits
Electronic health records have special portals for the patients, through which they can access their medical records seamlessly.
Increased efficiency is another key reason behind the growing popularity of electronic health records. Such software makes use of artificial intelligence and other sophisticated technologies that help to save time and effort.
- AI assistance in report analysis and diagnosis
- Provisions to quickly check for allergic reactions between drugs
This way, an EHR software ensures seamless and hassle-free functioning.
What features should a good electronic health records software have?
If you are looking for reliable software that would allow you to manage health records digitally, you would ideally want to ensure that it comes with certain features. Checking for these aspects also helps to choose the right software. These include:
- Customizability: The software should be customizable, such that you can make it suit the needs of your practice. Transitioning the workflow to the digital platform should be absolutely seamless.
- Ease of use: A medical practitioner may not necessarily be tech-savvy, and the same applies to the patients. Hence, an EHR software must be easy to use, with an excellent user interface.
- Support: The app must have excellent customer support. For a medical practitioner, timely IT support might be essential. In addition, a reliable customer support team helps to get over complex issues with ease.
- Accessibility: Users must be able to access the electronic health records from any location, as long as internet connectivity is available. Widespread accessibility also allows patients to connect with their doctors at any time.
- Comprehensiveness: The software must be comprehensive in terms of its features and services. The wider the use of an app, the lower the chances you would need to supplement it using another software.
- Security: When cybercrimes are growing rapidly, every organization has to proactively protect their clients’ data. Hence, the software must come with advanced security features that would help to protect medical information.
Some of the latest software solutions in this category are quite efficient and comprehensive. For instance, Bajaj Finserv Health is an app that allows patients to consult a doctor online and perform the essential functions of EHR software. Thus, the right software can make the job of a healthcare professional much easier.