Speaking of desserts, you just can’t resist some all-time favorites, no matter how much ever you’ve been on a diet! And there are two names that prop us almost instantly without a second thought – cookies and brownies. You just can’t say no to them now, can you? And now, there’s yet another third addition to this perfect platter – something we call ‘brookies!’ What are they? Nothing but a better and definitely tastier mash-up of both brownies and cookies so that you get to relish the best of both worlds when you can’t seem to pick one or the either.
Although there’s nothing better than trying out a dessert recipe at home right from the scratch – using all the ingredients, putting them together to prepare one hearty, lip-smacking recipe, our current work schedules hardly leave us much time for it. But that should in no way stop us from enjoying our favorite desserts. This is why we’ve chosen to make our beloved brookies using a “cheat recipe”, meaning the one that’s prepared from a packaged brownie mix.
And believe us, they taste simply the best – you wouldn’t even know the difference from self-made dough at home. So we thought of sharing it with all so everyone could enjoy this delicious brookie recipe ready within minutes!
How to Make Homemade Brookies Using Brownie Mix?
For this recipe, we suggest buying brownie mix in bulk because you’re simply going to love the easy preparation method and the taste, of course. It’s difficult to stop at just the one time so stock up to make this as many times as you wish.
We’ll be making two separate layers for the brookies – the cookie layer and the brownie layer. Here’s what we need for both:
Ingredients for cookie layer:
- Cookie mix chocolate chip – 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz)
- Butter or margarine – softened, 4 tbsp
- Water – 1 tbsp
- Eggs – 1 no.
Ingredients for brownie layer:
- Brownie mix fudge – 1 box(1 lb 2.3 oz)
- Water – ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil – 2/3 cup
- Eggs – 2 no.
Method for preparation:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Take a 13 x 9 inch pan and line it with aluminum foil paper. Grease it with cooking spray.
- Stir in all the ingredients of the cookie layer in a medium-sized bowl. Keep stirring until they form a soft dough. Spread it out at the bottom of the pan and press to even it out.
- Now blend in all the brownie layer ingredients in another medium-sized bowl and stir them until they mix well. Spread it out on top of the cookie layer in the same pan.
- Bake the mixture in the oven for about half an hour or more, or until the brookies appear set around the edges. You can also insert a clean toothpick 2 inches from the side of the pan. If it comes out clean, the dish is ready.
- Take out from the oven and leave it on a cooling rack to completely cool down to room temperature. It might take about an hour.
- Remove the brookies from the pan and pull out the foil from over them. Cut the dessert into 5 x 4 rows to get them in the shape of fudge bars.
Top Tips to Make Brookies Even Tastier!
Your brookies would anyway come out absolutely yummy-licious even when using the packaged mix. However, since you’d bought the brownie mix in bulk and you keep trying it several times over again, you’d learn the tricks of the game and keep getting better at it too. We did the same and here we share some of the top-learnt tips on how to improve the taste of your brookies each time you make them at home using the mix:
Tip #1: Even though a toothpick that comes out completely clean is an indicator of the dish being ready, try taking it out of the oven when you see a tiny bit of gooey batter on the tip of the toothpick/skewer. This is because a yummy brownie is always slightly fudgy and gooey, plus, the residual heat in the oven would continue cooking the brookies anyway.
Tip #2: Allow the brookies to cool completely to room temperature. Avoid hurrying up in removing them from the pan and slicing them up into bars. Even though you want your brookies to be slightly gooey, you don’t want to end up with too much of gooey mess. Leaving them to cool down would allow the remaining gooey mixture to cook in its own residual heat.
Tip #3: In case some of the bulk cake mix that you bought gets left over, you can easily store it up for about 3 days when transferred to a re-sealable food storage plastic bag or storage container.
Tip #4: Brookies taste their best when stored in the freezer. It also allows them to set perfectly as firm bars, and you can also place them in a re-sealable container or plastic bag in the freezer to preserve them for almost a month.#
Tip #5: To ease out things for you a bit and to save time, you can use the same mixing bowl for blending in the ingredients of both the brownie and the cookie layers. After you’ve mixed up the brownies, add them to the greased pan. Use a spatula to take out the whole mixture from the bowl until the very end so that it’s absolutely clean. You can then use the same bowl to make the cookie dough. There’s no need to wash the bowl in between; after all, both the mixes go into the same pan. This means less dishes to dirty and less of effort too.
Summing it Up
This homemade brookie recipe tastes great whether you use the brownie mix or prepare the dough at home. The former would save time and effort though; make yummy brookies in a jiffy at a kids’ play date or get-together with friends.